Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Tell-Tale Heart for Halloween

At Halloween, I ask higher level students to read one of my favorite Edgar Allan Poe short stories, 'The Tell-Tale Heart.' Often I let the students follow along with the text in front of them as I read it aloud. Poe's stories and poems deserve to be read aloud. (Probably this could be said of all well-written works, but since my children are all grown up, I rarely do it anymore.)

Today I was excited to find that on YouTube, there is a two-part (combined 15-minute) video (I, II) of Vincent Price narrating 'The Tell-Tale Heart' on stage. You don't have to be an advanced level student to understand the story as Mr. Price tells it.

If you would like to do a combined reading and listening activity for the upcoming event, I've given you links to a printable copy of the the story with vocabulary and Mr. Price's superb acting performance. Let me know if the lesson works for you.

No comments: