Monday, August 27, 2007

Adding Links and the Power of Photos

Today I added several links to this blog for teachers and for students (several of these blogs were listed by OTAN, but I checked each one out myself). Of course, you can spend several additional hours following all the links to those links, some of which also looked very informative. I rarely buy an ESL book anymore because there are so many free lesson plans and online materials available. The options are endless.

I've got four weeks to go before I get back to full-time teaching at the International Center for American English in La Jolla, CA. I am so glad that I used some of this summer to learn more about this great technology. My next job is to contact former students (since I don't have classes right now to make assignments to) and see if I can get them to comment about what they're up to and how they're using their English now - if at all!

So far, I've only had a few comments - more like e-mail transactions in a public forum - from a few students who I saw recently. They all posted comments at 'Newspaper class 2007' which is simply a standard class photo with no commentary. Now that I've invested in a digital camera, I can see that a class photograph is also an important tool for opening up online communication with ESL students.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to my blog.

I hope we both have a great school year!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome, Larry! Cheers to you for a great school year. I've learned a lot from your blog and website.

Claudia Ceraso said...

Evelyn,
Thank you for the mention of The FCE Blog in your list of Useful Links for Students.
Do let me know if you ever use it with your students. (I'm curious, you know).
Now I am exploring that OTAN link in your previous post. Looks quite interesting.
Best,
Claudia

Anonymous said...

Hi, Claudia,
Thanks for your feedback. When I start Cambridge prep classes at the end of next month, I will definitely refer students to your blog.
Best wishes,
Evelyn

rosa ochoa said...

Thanks for linking to my blog, Evelyn!

You can find links to my podcast blogs in it: Sydney People's Podcast and Let's Talk. I think they could interest your students. The first one is full of interviews with native./fluent speakers of English (there are worksheets for most of the interviews) and the second one is student produced podcasts.